The Carmangay & District Municipal Library was formed by a Village of Carmangay bylaw on June 15, 1981. The Library was first housed in a room in the Grange Hotel and was opened to the public on November 30, 1982. The Library moved to its present location in the former Carmangay Village Office building in the Fall of 1984. The building dates to about 1912 and was renovated with the help of a C.R.C. Grant. The Official Opening was held April 15, 1985 in conjunction with the Village of Carmangay's 75th Anniversary. In 1992, the Library became a founding member of the Chinook Arch Regional Library System.